Thursday, June 7, 2012

Rah rah ... ooh la la

Today hasn't been the best work day since I started work in Shanghai.  RAAHHHH!  But what the hell, shit happens right? Just so happens this is cow manure type of size la. Still! It doesn't dampen the fact that I've managed to do lunches on my own for three days in a row! Ok, so maybe it isn't a big deal to most people but it is to me. I don't actually recall ever having lunch on my own when I was working in Singapore. Not sure if it was because I'm incredibly needy or it's just that I am so popular I've always had lunch buddies. But, because I've been eating alone, I've been able to curb my social eating habits which means, I've been eating less!

It also helps that these places are populated by the hip and haps, so today as I was eating my dainty pasta, there was a cute Chinese manager of the restaurant + a uber hams French on my left.  Vous tres cute, I wanted to say.

Anyway, to avoid looking tragic, and not keep staring at people with friends, I now have a sorta routine (if you can call it that after 3 days)
1. Saunter in like I'm a regular, even though its the first time I'm in the shop.
2. Look bored/disinterested at counter.
3. Order the first thing on the menu so I don't erm, ah... ...
4. When the above is in too-cheem Chinese, order the simplest thing on the menu.
5. Decide at last min whether to eat in or take-out depending on crowd and seats available - cos it is so uncool to say I will eat in and then not be able to find seats! They don't do the tissue paper thing here, so darn backward.
6. Have fully charged phones but leave them on table in nonchalant manner (complete with hair flip when placing phone nonchalantly on table). If I must (cos I am so popular people text me all the time), I will reply to a message, then repeat (6) again.
7. Have book on hand - preferably small, Penguin-published type. I took this ginormous book with me today and it was so not cool.
8. If no book, magazine will do. But again, not the Female, Her World type of dictionaries. UK Glamour, Newsweek (yucks) or Fortune (double yucks) kind will be good.
9. Eat sloowwwwwlllyyyyyyyy, like the spiced carrot soup is world-best, made by rabbit-endorsed carrots.
10. No dripping or drooling.
The above have helped me look generally look fabulous, I think.


Juice and pumpkin soup at Elements Fresh, Xintiandi


Pesto chicken salad with mint and carrot juice at Wagas, just opposite office
Hmm... just realised the meals are colour-coordinated. Anyways, friends are back tomorrow in office so we'll see I can keep up this independent (read: tragic), healthy (read: I NEED RICE) diet up. I suspect not la!

xoxo,
Tracy

11 comments:

  1. Babe u made my day w this post! Nearly fell off my chair laughing as I can so imagine ur face spouting this shit hahahah not sure abt u being popular tho..we jst felt sorry for u and let u tag along ;) love u!!!
    Xx PP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn it. Is that way you guys always walk so fast?! To get away from me! ha ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wagas is fab! I so resonate with your post:) miss you heaps!! - Curly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you furries too! Next post is just for u!

      Delete
  4. I so need the pesto pasta at wagas - but not with chicken. Tuna's the best!!!!!!! ARGH - cravings!!!! - CS, sipping my Kopi C SD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok! Next time I try the tuna! And thanks for kickstaring my teh si craving!

      Delete
  5. Wei! Eating solo is uber cool lor. It shows that (1) you are damn confident (2) you have got style, yes, small books would be good, not giant hard cover books that make you look like a student. Best if you put your branded bag on the table for display. Hugs XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babe, I only have my faded Loewe which I try to hide from view. ha ha...

      Delete
    2. Totally agree with the small-book thing. Best is it it's by some obsure authors. Reading mainstream books, like those from George Orwell Malcolm Gladwell etc., simply does't cut it ;p

      Delete
  6. wahahaa this eating alone thing (which i do quite often here also sadly) is totally SPOT ON, i do so many similar things!!!!! especially the "i don't give a shit" face. i bring my NOOK (e-book reader) instead of a mag/book tho, up ur street cred and get one too haha! and i love the chicken pesto salad frm wagas!!! -bao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOK? Wah, I not at that level yet - darn it! ok ok will get one from taobao. heh heh heh

      Delete